Montana Bar Exam

Select Bar Exam State:


Montana Board of Law Examiners

State of Montana
Board of Bar Examiners
P.O. Box 577
Helena, Montana 59624

Phone: (406) 442-7660
Fax: (406) 442-7763

Email: mconnolly@montanabar.org

Website: www.montanabar.org


BAR EXAM FORMAT

Montana administers the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE), which is a 2-day exam.

Day 1: Written portion of the exam

AM: 6 Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) questions (30 minutes each)
PM: 2 Multistate Performance Test (MPT) questions (90 minutes each)

Day 2: Full-day Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions

AM: Morning MBE session (100 questions)
PM: Afternoon MBE session (100 questions)


SUBJECTS TESTED


MBE Subjects: 

  • Constitutional Law
  • Contracts/Sales
  • Criminal Law/Procedure
  • Evidence
  • Real Property
  • Torts

MEE Essay Subjects:

  • Agency
  • Commercial Paper
  • Conflict of Laws
  • Corporations
  • Family Law
  • Federal Civil Procedure
  • Partnerships
  • Secured Transactions
  • Trusts
  • Wills
  • plus all MBE subjects

Multistate Performance Test: 

“Closed universe” practical problem using instructions, factual data, cases, statutes and other reference material supplied by examiners.


BAR EXAM DATES

The Montana Bar Exam is administered on the last Tuesday and Wednesday in February and July.

2014 Winter:  February 25 and 26

2014 Summer: July 29 and 30


FILING FEES AND DEADLINES

Applications must be submitted by October 1 for the February exam and March 15 for the July exam. A late applicant must petition the Montana Supreme Court for permission to submit a late application, and there is a $100 penalty if the Court grants permission.

Bar Exam Fees
Application Fee for General Applicants (non-Attorneys): $150
Application Fee for Attorney Applicants: $400
Uniform Bar Exam Fee (applies to all applicants): $300


BAR EXAM FILING ADVICE

Take Appropriate Steps To Ensure Timely Delivery: Your application is one of thousands that will be sent to the same office address. Use Certified Mail with Return Receipt Requested or other appropriate verifiable means (e.g., FedEx, UPS) when sending all correspondence to the bar examiners so that you have proof regarding when your application was postmarked, when it arrived and who received it.  Check with the state bar examiner’s office before sending your application regarding what types of delivery they will accept.

Payment:  Application fees are generally non-refundable. Verify acceptable forms of payment with your state (i.e., no personal checks).  If you apply to take the bar exam, pay all fees and subsequently withdraw, you must contact the Bar Examiners. You may have to submit a new application, a new filing fee and new copies of related documents in order to sit for the exam at a future date.

Employment History:  Many states’ bar applications require information regarding your past employment since the age of 18 (i.e., name and address of employer, reason for leaving). Begin compiling a list of employers and their current addresses so that you have this information for your application.

Character References:  Many states’ bar applications require a list of persons who can attest to your good character. Begin compiling a list of non-relatives who have known you for at least two (2) years who can vouch for your integrity.

Driver Abstracts:  Some bar applications require you to produce a Driver’s Abstract from all states in which you were licenced to drive. Contact the Division of Motor Vehicles in each state and request the most complete abstract of your driving record that is available.

Fingerprints:  In some states you must submit your fingerprints on a special card with your exam application.   Have your fingerprints rolled by a professional law enforcement officer onto the forms provided by the bar examiners.


GRADING AND RESULTS

The MEE is weighted 30% of the total exam score and the MPT is weighted 20% of the total exam score. The MBE is weighted 50% of the total exam score. The scores from the MEE will be combined with those from the MPT, scaled to the MBE, and then combined with the MBE score. Successful applicants must receive a total scaled score of 270 or higher. Results are released within 8 weeks of the exam.


RECIPROCITY

Admission on Motion: Montana does not offer admission on motion.

Admission by Transfer of UBE Score: An applicant who has earned a UBE score of 270 or greater in another jurisdiction may be eligible for admission to Montana by transfer of UBE score if the score was earned within 3 years of the date of application. For complete details, please contact the Montana Board of Bar Examiners.

Acceptance of MBE Score: Montana does not accept MBE scores transferred from other jurisdictions.


Select Bar Exam State: