Oregon Bar Exam

Select Bar Exam State:

Oregon Board of Law Examiners

Building Location:
16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Road
Tigard, OR 97224

Mailing Address:
PO Box 231935
Tigard, OR 97281

Phone: (503) 620-0222
Fax: (503) 598-6990

Email: info@osbar.org
Website: www.osbar.org


The Oregon Bar Exam is 2-day exam.

Day 1: Written portion of the exam

AM: 6 Essay questions (30 minutes each)

PM: 2 Multistate Performance Test (MPT) questions (90 minutes each)

Day 2: Full-day Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions

AM: Morning MBE session (100 questions)

PM: Afternoon MBE session (100 questions)


MBE Subjects: 

  • Constitutional Law
  • Contracts/Sales
  • Criminal Law/Procedure
  • Evidence
  • Real Property
  • Torts

Oregon Essay Subjects:

  • Administrative Law
  • Agency
  • Civil Procedure
  • Corporations
  • Federal Income Taxation
  • Oregon Evidence
  • Oregon Legal Ethics
  • Partnerships
  • Secured Transactions
  • Trusts & Estates
  • Wills
  • plus all MBE subjects

Multistate Performance Test: 

“Closed universe” practical problem using instructions, factual data, cases, statutes and other reference material supplied by examiners.


The Oregon Bar Exam is administered on the last Tuesday and Wednesday in February and July.

2014 Winter:  February 25 and 26

2014 Summer: July 29 and 30


Applications must be received by November 15 for the February exam and April 15 for the July exam. Late applications are permitted with additional fees until December 15 for the February exam and May 15 for the July exam.

Bar Exam Fee: $625


Take Appropriate Steps To Ensure Timely Delivery: Your application is one of thousands that will be sent to the same office address. Use Certified Mail with Return Receipt Requested or other appropriate verifiable means (e.g., FedEx, UPS) when sending all correspondence to the bar examiners so that you have proof regarding when your application was postmarked, when it arrived and who received it.  Check with the state bar examiner’s office before sending your application regarding what types of delivery they will accept.

Payment:  Application fees are generally non-refundable. Verify acceptable forms of payment with your state (i.e., no personal checks).  If you apply to take the bar exam, pay all fees and subsequently withdraw, you must contact the Bar Examiners. You may have to submit a new application, a new filing fee and new copies of related documents in order to sit for the exam at a future date.

Employment History:  Many states’ bar applications require information regarding your past employment since the age of 18 (i.e., name and address of employer, reason for leaving). Begin compiling a list of employers and their current addresses so that you have this information for your application.

Character References:  Many states’ bar applications require a list of persons who can attest to your good character. Begin compiling a list of non-relatives who have known you for at least two (2) years who can vouch for your integrity.

Driver Abstracts:  Some bar applications require you to produce a Driver’s Abstract from all states in which you were licenced to drive. Contact the Division of Motor Vehicles in each state and request the most complete abstract of your driving record that is available.

Fingerprints:  In some states you must submit your fingerprints on a special card with your exam application.   Have your fingerprints rolled by a professional law enforcement officer onto the forms provided by the bar examiners.


The essays are weighted 25% of the total exam score and the MPTs are weighted 25% of the total exam score. The MBE is weighted 50% of the total exam score. The scaled score on the essay examination is combined with the standardized score on the MBE and the score on the MPT for one passing score. Successful applicants must receive a total scaled score of 284 or higher. Results are generally released about five to six weeks after the exam.


Admission on Motion
Lawyers from the following states who meet certain requirements may be admitted to the Bar of the State of Oregon without having to take and pass the Oregon Bar Examination (Rule 15.05): AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, DC, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NH, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY.

Admission of House Counsel
An attorney employed by a business entity authorized to do business in Oregon, who has been admitted to practice law in another state, federal territory or commonwealth, or the District of Columbia may be admitted to practice law and procedures set out in Rule 16.05.

Select Bar Exam State: